Sunday, April 22, 2012

My FIRST Quilt

I guess I started quilting about 16 years ago.  Sounds good, but I started sewing when I was about 5, so that was almost 32 years ago.  I was kind of a sick child and I believe I drove my mother insane when I was home from school so she had to give me something to occupy my time and keep my hands busy.  So she stuck me in front of the sewing machine.  I would make tiny little pillows with scraps of fabric or I would just sew lines with all the different stitches on her machine (a Singer of course).  Mom also taught me to cross stitch, I never did it correctly but I did it.  OK, so fast forward thirty some years.  I'm newly married to a soldier and living 800 mile from home.  I had no friends and no job.  It was a rough situation for me so I began sewing again...poorly.  But Mom bought me a little Jenome Jem sewing machine and I was off and running.  This is the first quilt I started.  It wasn't necessarily the first completed, but it was definitely the first one I really started.  It is my Snowman Collector Quilt.
I used that heat and bond stuff for the applique and did a blanket stitch around each piece by hand.  It was a block of the month I joined at Bits and Pieces in Michigan (the best quilt shop in MI).  It took about 2 years for me to complete.  I didn't quilt it though.  Mom paid someone to do it for me.  It would probably still be a flimsy if she didn't.  Thanks Mom.  Anyway, I am super proud of it.  I have never used it, and it sits all folded up in my craft closet.  I wish I had a wall large enough to hang it.

What was your first quilt?
Paige

1 comment:

  1. Morning Paige
    I've nominated you for the Liebster Award in the hope that you'll keep publishing and show us all your beautiful creations.

    ReplyDelete